29 December 2009

Spare Time is a beautiful thing

I've so much time on my hands now that I don't have to spend it all constantly working on/worrying about schoolwork. College is so much unnecessary stress and I'm more than half tempted to just drop out. I'm kidding. Unfortunately, I can't drop out of college. Yes, I said unfortunately. Don't get me started.

Getting back to my main point, the semester's over and now I have time to actually do things that I enjoy, including (but not limited to):

-Spending time with family and friends
-Sleeping enough
-Playing the sims
-Reading things that I want to read (as opposed to what I have to read)
-Writing (unrelated to academics)
-Feeling happy, optimistic and upbeat


Today I hung (horrible diction. So sorry) out with Jenni, saw Avatar with my dad and brother, ate Qdoba and watched a movie in my bed while I played the Sims. I love days like these and they really don't happen during the semester. On the off chance that it does, I can't enjoy it much because I'm too busy worrying about when I'm going to make up the work that I was supposed to be doing instead of enjoying life. For this, I blame DePauw. Gah, there I go again with the negativity.

OKAY. Seriously, I made this post to say that I'm feeling happy (save for one incident today, which I'd rather not bring up) and tomorrow is looking good too. I'm hanging out with Hayley, which is always a treat. I want popcorn.

Avatar was so much better than I thought it was going to be. Going in, I had no clue what the movie was even about. Not only was Avatar just BEAUTIFUL to watch, but the plot was just wonderful. Aside from the fact that it made the military look evil (which, I do not believe the military as a whole is) I really appreciated the fact that the perspective was changed. Normally, hostile aliens are colonizing earth for no real reason. In Avatar, humans were colonizing the aliens' planet. Sort of makes you think twice. This was set in the future (2152 I believe... why do i use so many parentheses???) but it is also true for the past. You know that little rhyme: "In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue". Then the Europeans proceeded to steal the land from the "hostile savage natives" and cultivate it for their own purposes. What am I talking about??

What I'm trying to say is that Avatar is both visually and conceptually engaging. It's wonderful to watch, and it makes me think. That's all I wanted to say. Sometimes, I am a bit wordy. Forgive me.

Ok, I'm tired of writing, and since I'm not scrambling to have something due, I can just stop! How glorious. Oh btw, I had a nightmare that I was at the playboy mansion (???RANDOM???) writing a paper for a Lit class that I had two semesters ago. It was 4am, and I had to have the 8 page paper done by class at 2:20pm. I had three paragraphs. I was so relieved to wake up and find that I did not, in fact, have a paper to write!

Ok, seriously I'm done. I'm going to eat popcorn and probably start another movie. YES.