29 December 2009

Nerd Alert. All hands on deck.

The phrase "See into the life of things" has been buzzing around in my head all day. I remembered it from a Wordsworth poem, but I couldn't remember which one. Don't worry, I found it.

From Lines Composed A Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey:

Until, the breath of this corporeal frame
And even the motion of our human blood
Almost suspended, we are laid asleep
In body, and become a living soul:
While with an eye made quiet by the power
Of harmony, and the deep power of joy,
We see into the life of things.



Also, I just recently finished reading the most depressing/haunting/disturbing book I have ever read in all my life. This spot was previously held by George Orwell's 1984. Not anymore. Cormac McCarthy's The Road is now the winner. Then I saw the movie... Bad bad bad idea.

In the midst of the bleakness of The Road, I found this excerpt really beautiful. I can't get over it.

"He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it."